Since our start in 1991, we have conducted high-level research specialising in probiotics and their ability to improve health. Today, Probi is a leading biotechnology company in the field of probiotic bacteria research and development. We work with a network of researchers in several countries documenting new beneficial health effects of Probi’s patented strains and identifying new, effective strains for patent protection.
The development process from initial idea to commercial product usually takes three to five years. Much of this time is dedicated to producing conclusive results by performing clinical studies that prove that the bacterium is safe and that it has the desired clinical effects.
PRIMARY FOCUS AREAS
Our research is focused on four areas where probiotics have already proven to have beneficial health effects, or where new opportunities for probiotics to improve the health of modern individuals are seen. These areas are:
- Gastrointestinal health
- The immune system
- Metabolic health (including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity)
- Nutritional uptake
The objectives of our research are:
- To document the health effects of previously known bacterial strains and develop new probiotic concepts by conducting pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- To isolate new, interesting bacterial strains and document their health effects.
- To investigate the underlying mechanisms behind health effects, for example by studying their interaction with “bad” bacteria, the intestinal epithelium and the immune system.
- To document the safety of the bacteria by conducting safety studies.
- To patent bacteria and product concepts.
Download these papers to learn more about our research in these specific areas: